What is University Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment gives your child the opportunity to take university courses by allowing them to be enrolled in more than one academic institution at the same time. Some students use this as an opportunity to earn university credits relevant to their anticipated future major, or simply to sample different courses to help them decide what they want to study after high school. Regardless of the reason why a student signs up; dual enrollment can save families the cost of up to one year’s tuition, around $40,000 at a private university.
Florida Prep offers a unique dual enrollment opportunity at Florida Institute of Technology, located one mile from campus. Keep reading to learn how Florida Prep can help your child reach their academic goals.
How Do You Apply For Dual Enrollment?
Applicants to the dual enrollment program must be a domestic or international junior or senior level high school student with transcripts that indicate they could potentially succeed in completing a rigorous first-year university course. The Florida Prep Guidance Department will identify your child as a suitable applicant and will assist them with the application process. The following standards would generally apply:
- Cumulative GPA: 3.00 (unweighted) on a 4.00 scale
- Combined SAT (Critical Reading and Math): 1100 (550 math portion if courses in math, science or engineering are desired)
- ACT: 24 (25 math sub-score if courses in math science or engineering are desired)
Dual Enrollment at Florida Institute of Technology
Students may accumulate up to 24 semester credit hours, and in special circumstances, may be evaluated for additional credit hours based upon the recommendation of the Academic Support Center Director at Florida Tech. Click here to view available courses.
What are the Benefits?
- Earn credits at a doctoral-granting research university as a high school student, with access to state-of-the-art classrooms, research, and laboratories. Click here to learn more about Florida Tech!
- Save up to one year’s tuition, around $40,000 at a private university
- Take on rigorous university-level courses while still benefiting from the support network at Florida Prep
- Get a feel for the atmosphere and expectations of university before graduating from high school – increasing the likelihood of success as a full-time university student
- Earn up to 24 credits – which is enough credits to enter university as a sophomore
- Enhance your academic resume prior to applying for a four-year university
- Meet and learn from renowned, world-class faculty who are about your student’s success
A Guaranteed University Offer!
Any high school senior completing six or more credits at Florida Tech with a 3.0 overall GPA is guaranteed:
- Admission to Florida Tech upon completion of the full-time undergraduate admission process and
- Consideration for a university-based merit scholarship and need-based grant to attend Florida Tech.
If your child would like to enhance their resume prior to applying to a four-year university, access state-of-the-art classrooms, research, and laboratories, and meet and learn from a renowned, world-class faculty, then it’s time to consider enrolling your child at Florida Prep!
Who Can I Contact for Help?
- dual enrollment
- Eastern Florida State College
- Florida Institute of Technology
- Florida Prep
- Florida Tech
- high school